Responding to angler input, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is proposing expanded harvest opportunities for Lake Michigan lake trout using the emergency rule process.
Todd Kalish, DNR deputy fisheries bureau director, said the proposed emergency rule will be considered by the Wisconsin Natural Resources Board at its March 1 meeting.The proposed emergency rule would:
- Expand Lake Michigan lake trout harvest opportunities to a daily bag limit of five.
- Include the five fish daily lake trout limit as part of the overall five trout and salmon combined daily bag limit.
- Maintain closure of refuges, which are supporting some natural reproduction.
- Offer a continuous open season.
- Maintain the commitment to lake-wide lake trout restoration and promotion of a diverse salmon and trout fishery through continued assessment of lake trout restoration goals and impacts of management actions on those goals.
The Wisconsin Natural Resources Board welcomes public input. The deadline to register to testify is 11 a.m. Friday, Feb. 24. Find board information here.
Email or call board liaison to register to testify or submit written comments. The contact information is: Laurie J. Ross, Board Liaison, Office of the Secretary, Wisconsin DNR, Laurie.Ross@wisconsin.gov, 608-267-7420, PO Box